Driven by his passion for roots music, Patrick McAvinue uses traditional bluegrass to create his own unique performances that embody musicality, energy, and creativity. McAvinue was recently named the International Bluegrass Music Association’s 2017 Fiddler Player of the Year during their annual conference in Raleigh, NC. McAvinue tours with the multi-GRAMMY® Nominated Country/Bluegrass supergroup Dailey & Vincent, and Baltimore-based traditional roots quartet Charm City Junction, and is a featured recording artist for the Patuxent Music recording label.
• 2016-17 Strathmore Artist in Residence
• 2015 International Bluegrass Music Association Momentum Award Intrumentalist
• From The Koppernik Theatre in Prague to The Country Ren-dez vous Festival in France to the US Embassy in Ecuador, McAvinue’s performances have thrilled audiences around the world!
• Audie Blaylock and Redline’s I’m Going Back to Old Kentucky topped both Bluegrass Music Profiles’ Top 10 Albums and Bluegrass Today’s Weekly Song Chart with McAvinue on fiddle.
• “Roller coaster ride of pure uncut fiddle nirvana”— those are the words used to describe McAvinue’s album Rutland’s Reel by Country Music Pride’s Joseph Scott.
He holds a BM in Jazz Performance from Towson University (Towson, MD), where he studied under the direction of pianist Tim Murphy, trumpeter David Ballou and violinist Dr. Jeffrey Howard.
A Hereford, Maryland native, Patrick now resides in Nashville, Tennessee.
Connect with Patrick:
Quotes about Patrick:
"Clarity, balance, and fire; all the qualities of the best modern Bluegrass fiddling – are brought into focus by the Fine fiddler Patrick McAvinue. Patrick has stepped into his role as one of the most visible of Bluegrass fiddlers with grace and a sense of responsibility to the music that will please both Bluegrass fanatics and people who just enjoy music. Finely crafted Bluegrass picking and singing too, along with that clean, driving fiddlin’… Great work, Patrick." - Darol Anger, Fiddler/composer, Berklee College of Music, Original David Grisman Quintet
“He absorbs from any genre, but even more important, he can figure out how a certain style can impact what he plays in a different context.” - Fiddler Magazine
“McAvinue is one of the most in-demand players on the local music scene—and beyond. He has performed all over the world...his talents are audibly virtuosic." – Baltimore Style Magazine (Click to read the full article)
"To me the most awesome thing about Patrick's playing is that he is not afraid of taking chances. Every time you hear him play he will play something different, but yet equally as exciting as the last. Killer!!" - Michael Cleveland, 10-Time IBMA Fiddle Player of the Year
"Patrick is what I was looking for in a musician. He'll step right up, and there is no situation he cannot handle. He's absolutely fearless." - Audie Blaylock, GRAMMY® Nominated Guitarist, Singer & Songwriter